5/16/11

Walking for Water

Saturday was the Corvallis Walk for Water 5K. My church was supporting the Corvallis-Gondar Sister Cities Association. Gondar, Ethopia, is our "Sister City" and their most critical need right now is local access to fresh, clean water. The average female in Ethiopia walks about 3 miles a day to collect fresh water for drinking and cooking. They walk halfway with empty clay containers, walking back with pots which weigh, on average, 44 lbs. I paid a $10 entry fee: $9 went to dig a well and $1 went towards facilitating the Sister Cities association and their mission to educate and serve. Not too shabby.

All I had to do was roll out of bed, brush my teeth (with my conveniently located clean, safe water from the tap) and drive to meet friends. So, it was really a chance to walk and talk with friends. The walk started on the corner of 2nd and Western and went to Avery Park and then back. I did the 3.1 miles in about 56 minutes. Not too shabby for my first 5K. I didn't take any pictures of me (that was implied when I said I had just rolled out of bed and walked a 5K), but I did get a picture as we started the walk.
I checked "complete a 5K" off my bucket list. Afterwards, we went to brunch. All-in-all, not a bad way to start a Saturday.
Water is an issue in many places around the world. Here is a video about the Living Water Project featuring my favorite new artist: Page CXVI
Joy from Living Water International on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment