10/31/11

Two.month.hiatus

It has been nearly two months since I posted. It is not that I don't have a story to share. I do. I have tons. I have been adding them to a list.. Some are even here in Blogger in rough draft form. But life got busy. The term got rolling. I was traveling. Classes needed to be taught. Excuse. Excuse. Excuse.

One of the things I remember most from grad school was this phrase: Write before you are ready.

It's message is simple, but extremely difficult to execute. You want to have all of your thoughts together. You want them all to be golden. But that isn't reality. You have to write. Some of it will be good. Some will be awful.

If it is writing that truly matters (i.e. the 10 conference submissions I am writing now) then you write and edit and write more and edit more and wind up with a completed product of which you can be proud (in this case hopefully by the December 19th deadline). If it is writing that doesn't determine your fate - like this blog- just write. Polish some. Post.

There is no excuse for not writing.

The reality is this: This blog is not a drain on my productivity. It is an outlet for my creativity. Writing this way frees my thoughts up for more academic writing. Writing begets more writing.

My issue is I don't like to write until the post is finished in my head. I don't like to "let posts go" until they are done. I need to get over myself. Time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment