4/22/14

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

CS Lewis wrote one of the most well-known Christian allegories - "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe". It is the first story in seven book Chronicles of Narnia series from the 1950's. The church I have been attending since January spent the last 6 months planning, casting, and preparing for this two hour production. Here are a few shots from the production. The costumes were awesome!

First, the fawn: Mr. Tumnus and one of the White Queen's captains discussing how children who enter Narnia must be captured.


Next, Lucy stumbles through the wardrobe to find Mr. Tumnus who, it turns out, doesn't have the heart to turn in his friend.


The White Witch, um, I mean Queen was not very happy these children were in Narnia. It meant the fulfillment of a prophecy. However, she convinces Edmund to find his siblings and bring them to her castle.


Here all the siblings are having tea with Mr. and Mrs. Beaver.


And, of course, Father Christmas stops by to give out sword and daggers and potions the children will need in the fight to save Narnia from the White Witch.


The rightful ruler of Narnia is Aslan, the lion. Did you know Aslan wore Dickies pants? He sacrifices himself to save Edmund but is resurrected in time to help the children and the other creatures of Narnia in their battle against the White Witch. I found this part strange.


My favorite costume of all was the centaur, who had a very square rear-end and wheels on his hind legs. (I wish I had a back end shot!) This costume was pure, homemade awesomeness. He appeared within the first half hour of the show and there were still snickers from the crowd around me every time he rolled across the stage.. even after two hours. Next to him is a unicorn, of course.


Once the play was over, the entire cast came on stage and one of the Witch's soldiers led the group in a rendition of  the Oscar-winning song "Happy" from 'Despicable Me 2'. That was a good time. Sorry for the blurry shot - they wouldn't stop moving :-)



**Overall my Easter was, um, low key. I spent the day at home working without so much as a text message, email or phone call from friends or family. Everyone I know spends that day with family. And those of us who work all the way across the country and cannot travel between work on Friday and work on Monday morning were alone. Sure, I got invited to a couple of other families celebrations, but that tends to just make me sadder. Oh well. At least I got to spend Saturday night enjoying this little production.

No comments:

Post a Comment