6/27/14

Idaho Botanical Gardens in Boy-see, Idaho

On my weekend pass through Boise, Idaho, I spent my Monday morning at the Idaho Botanical Gardens. The gardens are approximately 15 cultivated acres located on the NE edge of Boise at the base of the Boise foothills.  There are a number of hiking trails around the ridges just behind the garden. And from this photo you can tell that what is not irrigated is arid. Boise gets about 12 inches of rain per year. 



What makes this Botanical garden unique: The entire garden is located inside the prison yard of what was once Idaho's Territorial Prison and later became the first Idaho State Penitentiary. It is a unique experience to walk around a botanical garden and see sights like this one...


Or this one (Yup, that is a guard tower)...


Or this one.


There are lots of hardscape items made out of the same stone as the prison, like this entryway...


Or this arbor...



 Or this one...


Or these bed edges...


Or these path stairs.


There were also pathways paved with prisoner-made bricks. 


Normally I like to hit gardens early, but this one didn't open until 9 am. I didn't find the sundial until a little after 10. I had the garden almost completely to myself until noon.


 This garden showcases plants that can grow in the Treasure Valley and the Intermountain West. 



 I am a sucker for good garden art. 









I found this swing, a skinny mocha, and a good book (Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell) and swung away the morning. I highly recommend it if you pass through Boise and you love plants. 







There was no sign, but I feel like the swing might have been made from some prison remnants as well - look at that chain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment