8/23/13

Last 5 books - August 2013 edition



Yup, you counted correctly. My last 5 books list has 6 books. I was on vacation and read these 6 in the last 2 weeks. I love vacation!

After trudging through a book as long as "A Prayer for Owen Meany", I was looking for some quick, non-fiction reads. Thus, "Naked" by David Sedaris, "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me" by Mindy Kaling and "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. This is the second Sedaris book and besides enjoying the Raleigh setting of his childhood (my undergraduate college town), I love the humor in his stories. Since the Office is my favorite show ever, I was excited to read something by the illustrious Kelly Kapoor. She did not disappoint in this story from childhood to Hollywood career - I laughed out loud multiple times. 

"Wild" was not what I was expected - having received a recommendation for this book from some older friends at a Bible study. Since this tells the story of Cheryl's hike along the Pacific Crest trail from the Mojave desert to the Bridge of the Gods over the Columbia river, I was expecting redemptive human discovery. I was surprised by the one night stands, hippie values, and heroin use. Not a bad story - just not what I thought I was in for. Since the last part took place in Oregon, I read it on the flight back from my vacation. A good transition.

I had also packed in some southern beachy reads - because I was vacationing by a pool in South Carolina. That lead me to "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy  set in coastal Charleston, SC and "Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks set in Southport, NC. I love everything I have read by Conroy and have already added "Beach Music" to my "TO READ" list. I know people think Nicholas Sparks is a bit predictable, but I always get lost in his characters. 

I cannot explain why I chose "Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs other than I have been wanting to read it for months. I would have waited had I known the sequel wasn't coming out until January.  This book was all fiction and fantasy and, a surprisingly quick read about (not) dead peculiar children from WWII. 

Next 5 books up:
  1. Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo
  2. Quiet by Susan Cain
  3. Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
  4. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
  5. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

No comments:

Post a Comment