8/5/13

Last five books I have read - July 2013 edition

I was thinking I would talk about what I have read in July - but work has been so busy and 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' is such a hefty book, that I only read two books this month. So I am dipping into June so I can talk about the last 5 books I read.


Speak (Laurie Halse Anderson), Maisie Dobbs (Jacqueline Winspear), Firefly Lane (Kristen Hannah),
A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving), and Summer Rental (Mary Kay Andrews)

These are diverse books.

'Speak' is "a young adult novel that tells the story of Melinda Sordino's rape, recovery, and confession" and was a fairly intense little book. I liked Anderson's style of writing and have already added another one of her books to my "to read" list. 

'Maisie Dobbs' is a mystery set in Post WWI England. Think Sherlock Holmes, but female and in a later time period. It was a fun, quick read and is the first in the series. There may be more of Miss Dobbs in my future.

'Firefly Lane' was about a friendship between Tully and Kate that spans 3 decades and, I am almost sure the story will move you to tears. This is not earth-shattering literature, but is a friendship story set in the pacific northwest that has a summer time feel which made it a great read for me personally.

'A Prayer for Owen Meany' was my book club's selection. I loved John Irving's 'The Cider House Rules' so I was excited to read another one of his works. 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' is a BIG book (my paperback was a whopping 640 pages) and explores the heavy themes of faith and fate while making you laugh at the ridiculous adventures of John Wheelwright and his friend Owen. Irving has a way of infusing wit and humor into even the darkest of topics. Despite that fact that it took almost all of July for me to get through this book, it was a good read.

'Summer Rental' was a departure. It was June and, like the characters in the book, I was away from work (on a plane to a conference back east).It felt right to read about people on a summer vacation. It was your typical summer beach read: girl meets boy, plot thickens with complicated mystery friend, drama ensues. I can't say much for the story except that it made the 5 hour flight go quicker.

Next up: 
'Naked' by David Sedaris
'Safe Haven' by Nicholas Sparks
'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' by Ransom Riggs
'South of Broad' by Pat Conroy
'Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?' by Mindy Kaling

No comments:

Post a Comment