1/23/11

When I grow up...

I have been thinking a lot about adulthood. When am I a grown up? I know, I know. I have hit a lot of those milestones that would indicate I am grown: I live 3,000 miles from home. I can vote. I can drive a car. I have three college degrees. I rent an apartment and pay my own bills. Heck, I am 31 years old.

But I don't feel like an adult. But maybe I just don't think I know what being an adult feels like. These thoughts are always in the back of my head, but came to the forefront a few weeks ago during a Grad and Career discussion of adulthood in the church. I think I live the life of an adult (most of the time). And, when I catch myself doing things that I don't think an adult would do, I begin to struggle with these questions all over again. For example, I was driving a state car to supervise a student teacher (adult thing) while rocking out to 'Baby Got Back' (not adult thing). These contrasts are pervasive in my world.

Let me share a few of minimally embarrassing examples:
I sleep until noon (on the weekends of course).
I call my mom when cooking a new recipe.
I watch reruns of the Office instead of the news.
I still have TLC, BoysIIMen, and Nine Inch Nails in my CD collection.
I shop for jewelry and choose silver hoop earrings over the pearls.
I don't buy clothes that require dry cleaning.

My parents will probably tell you I was born 40 so perhaps I don't feel like an adult because I was never really a kid. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment