3/14/11

Religion vs Gospel

A few weeks ago at Doxology (my Sunday morning church home), Pastor Pete preached about the difference in believing Religion versus Gospel.  Let's just say I was challenged by the message! I was raised in a Southern Baptist church and looking back, it seems to have created more of a "religious" person. I need more than one hand to count the areas here where I am struggling hard to see myself as a "gospel believer" and less of a "religious person". I guess that is why we are always a work in progress.


RELIGION
GOSPEL
ACCEPTANCE
I obey; therefore, I am
I’m accepted therefore, I obey



RELIGION
GOSPEL
MOTIVATION
Motivation is based on fear and insecurity
Motivation is based on grateful joy



RELIGION
GOSPEL
OBEDIENCE
I obey God in order to get things from God
I obey God to get God – to delight in and resemble him



RELIGION
GOSPEL
CIRCUMSTANCES
When circumstances in my life go wrong, I am angry at God or myself since I believe that anyone who is good deserves a comfortable life
When circumstances in my life go wrong, I struggle, but I know all my punishment fell on Jesus and that while God may allow this for my training, he will exercise his fatherly love within my trial.



RELIGION
GOSPEL
CRITICISM
When I am criticized, I am furious or devastated because it is critical that I think of myself as a ‘good person.’ Threats to that self image must be destroyed at all costs.
When I am criticized, I struggle but it is not essential for me to think of myself as a ‘good person.’ My identity is not built on my record or my performance but on God’s love for me in Christ.



RELIGION
GOSPEL
PRAYER
My prayer life consists largely on petition, and it only heats up when I am in a time of need. My main purpose in prayer is to control my environment
My prayer life consists of generous stretches of praise and adoration. My main purpose is fellowship with God.



RELIGION
GOSPEL
SELF VIEW
My self view swings between two poles. If and when I am living up to my standards, I feel confident but then I am prone and unsympathetic to failing people. If and when I am not living up to standards, I feel humble but not confident – I feel like a failure.
My self view is not based on my moral achievements. In Christ I am simultaneously sinful and lost yet accepted in Christ. I am so bad that he had to die for me and I am so loved that he was glad to die for me. This leads me to deep humility and confidence at the same time.



RELIGION
GOSPEL
IDENTITY
My identity and self worth are based mainly on how hard I work or how moral I am – and so I must look down on those I perceive as lazy or immoral.
My identity and self worth are centered on the one who died for me. I am saved by sheer grace so I cant look down on those who believe or practice something different from me. Only by grace am I what I am.


Note: This chart is adapted from Gospel in Life by Timothy Keller.

No comments:

Post a Comment