4/12/13

What I have been reading lately?



I read quite a bit. So, when thinking about the blog it only makes sense to recap a few of my favorite recent reads.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I didn't read this book; I consumed it. I sat down on a Friday evening and didn't get up until I had finished the story of Hazel Lancaster and Augustus Waters - and their cancers. Yup, it is a story of children and cancer. But, man-alive, is it a story. I love Jenny Larson (AKA the Bloggess) and I read this post she wrote before I read the book. I should have taken it as a warning! You should, too. It is a good story. I was a sobbing heap.




The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

This book touched two places in my heart. This is a story about a foster kid and it is seamed through with horticultural references. The subtitle I have seen on some copies of this book is "anyone can grow into something beautiful". It is a truthful story of growth in a realistic, flawed character. I have already recommended it to friends.




Peace Like A River by Leif Enger

This might be my new favorite. This book is technically young adult literature, but deals with some heady topics with religious undertones. The snipet on Amazon says "Along with his sister and father, Reuben finds himself on a cross-country search for his outlaw older brother who has been controversially charged with murder. Their journey is touched by serendipity and the kindness of strangers, and its remarkable conclusion shows how family, love, and faith can stand up to the most terrifying of enemies, the most tragic of fates." Again, I have loaned my copy out twice already.



Wallbanger by Alice Clayton 

This is a contemporary romance the story of Caroline. She is an interior designer who hasn't had a fella in quite a while. Her noisy neighbor moves in next door and she nicknames him "Wallbanger" (I bet you don't even need your imagination here). Granted, not my typical read. I might would recommend this one for when you are sitting on a sunny beach. For me, it was pure escapism.


If you want to know what I am reading or what I have been reading, check out the Reading Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment