7/28/14

True Confession: I am a worrier

I am a worrier.

I think I have been like this since I was born, but all I can confirm is that I vividly remember worrying from as early as 7 or 8 years old.

Ear marked in my Bible is the passage from Matthew 6:34 - "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." I repeat these as a mantra when I am feeling overwhelmed with worry.

But just NOT worrying didn't seem like a real solution. Not worrying doesn't make it go away. If I don't worry, will it get done?  But I am not called JUST to not worry - He called me to trust in Him.

I saw this post the other day from BillyGraham.org and it explained the concept of giving over worries in a such a clear way, it had to be shared.

"Think of it this way. Imagine for a moment that a worry is a heavy burden you’re carrying on your back (like a backpack filled with rocks). Wishing it will go away won’t solve the problem, nor will simply hoping the burden will grow lighter. But suppose you meet someone who’s obviously stronger than you, and he offers to take the burden off your back and carry it for you. What would you do? It would be foolish for you to keep carrying it; instead, you’d gladly hand it over to him."

Why am I still carrying my own rocks?


No comments:

Post a Comment