2/23/11

Happy National FFA Week

So, in honor of this week being National FFA Week, I was attempting to create a "Top 10 List" of my favorite FFA memories. And, wow was it harder than I thought! So, forget specific memories because there are just too many. I will go for big stuff instead.

10 Convention - National FFA Convention was an experience every time I went. But especially the first time. Seeing an entire session of Blue and Gold jackets and feeling the electric atmosphere is something I will never forget.

9 South Rowan FFA Chapter Meetings- And, man, did we put on some good ones. There were fashion shows and Ag Olympics and skits and food. Good times! And, I have photos!

8 Winning - I was a smart, non-athletic kid growing up so the only winning experiences I had involved spelling bees and class ribbons. FFA was the first time I was able to truly "win" in a competitive setting.

7 Traveling - First time to DC. First time on a plane. First time out of the country. First time crossing the Mississippi River. The list goes on and on.

6 Friends - I found a place I belonged through FFA and found friends I still treasure.

5 Family - Some of those friends developed into my "family" - especially when I went off to college.

4 Exposure to Agriculture - Growing up in a housing development in a "bedroom community" of Charlotte, my ag class was my only connection to agriculture. Before getting involved, I had never planted anything or seen livestock (other than at the fair). I had never been on a commercial farm. Afterwards, I worked in commercial greenhouse operations and even had a summer job on a drive-thru ranch in Mooresville. I am thankful every day for American Agriculture.

3 White Lake, NC - Whether as a rec camper using the bathhouse (seriously just got chills thinking about that place. ewww), as a leadership camper, or as a camp staffer (2 summers, baby!). Or just as an advisor sitting in a bouncy chair by the water.. .this place is filled with priceless memories.

2 Getting Elected to State FFA Office - tears. joy. and then the realization that the work wasn't over, it was just beginning. What a year!

1 Finding A Career- I only took an ag class and became an FFA member in 1994 because Mr. Traywick kicked me out of band on the first day of high school. Seriously! I think it had something to do with sharing a last name with an older sister who could strike fear into even the oddest band director. They put me in 4th period "Intro to Ag" and the rest is history. I found leadership experience which lead to scholarships for college which lead to teaching high school ag and being an FFA advisor myself. And, now it has lead to a PhD and the chance to teach the next generation of teachers who can give opportunities to the next "band reject" who walks through their door.

Happy National FFA Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment